Varibond is the original, single stage solvent-based color coating for U-PVC (Vinyl windows, doors etc.) and other hard plastics such as ABS and PVC.
Varibond forms a chemical bond with the substrate. Varibond cannot be easily removed and will not crack, peel or flake. Varibond is the only product on the market that can color plastic windows even in dark colors and will not fade or lose color for at least 7 years. Unlike Varikote, Varibond, with its unique formulation, will also take to GRP (glass fiber), bonding in a way that is impossible for cellulose paints. This also makes it ideal for GRP spoilers and body kits.
- The Original
- UV resistant
- Penetrates surface and bonds to the PVC-U substrate (Not simply a surface adhesion)
- Abrasion Resistant
- Available in any color you want
- Available in Gloss, Satin or Matt
- Available in Clear and Opaque
- Proven for more than 10 years
- Leaves surface looking original & not painted
- Leaves the original grain pattern intact & visible
- With the help of our adhesion promoter Plastikprep, you can now color polypropylene, TPO & EPDM plastics with Varibond.
(Not suited for polyethylene type plastics)
- Make sure you apply a sealer or conditioner only 24 hours after spraying the surface to seal the dye and condition the surface.
We can mix and match almost any color you need. Special color matching is available in quarts, gallons, 5 gallon pails and 50 gallon drums. If the color you want is not on the RAL color chart you can send us a sample of the color and we will match it for you.
Please specify your desired RAL color number in the Comment/Delivery section when you check out or indicate if you are sending a sample.
Below are our 14 Standard colours
FULL RAL colour chart
Application instructions for Varibond (Plastic Dye/Paint)
Varibond can be used to coat PVC, ABS and many other hard plastics. It can also be used on powder-coated aluminum and may be applied to both virgin and recycled material.
Also suitable for domestic, commercial and architectural applications for new-build or refurbished projects. Used in coloring doors, windows, conservatories and other building components.
Great for coloring or recoloring most plastic bumpers, plastic trims (inside as well as outside) on cars, boats, planes and RV’s.
Can also be used to color computers, telephones, photocopy machines, fax machines, etc.
Varibond is also suitable for sign writing, shop-fitting and other similar applications.
Spray techniques vary, so the fluid tip can be adjusted considerably to obtain the best results. There are a number of variables such as air pressure, air volume, and pot pressure. The alteration of any one of these variables will affect the others, requiring further adjustments.
1) Clean surface well with Parakleen to remove all dirt, grease and silicone. If surface is made of hard plastics such as Polypropylene, TPO, EPDM or other hard plastic, then you have to first sand down the surface with 400 to 600 wet & dry sand-paper. Clean with Parakleen once more.
2) Test to see if surface is clean by applying masking tape to the surface. If the tape comes off too easily then surface is still not clean. Spray a little clean water on surface to remove any residue that may have been left over, and quickly wipe with a lint free cloth and allow to dry. If tape comes off with some resistance then you know surface is clean.
3) Allow surface to dry before spraying, and mask areas not to be sprayed.
4) Special note: For surfaces made out of polypropylene, TPO or EPDM, spray from about 6 to 8 inches away one very light, even coat of Plastikprep (Adhesion promoter for hard plastics) on to surface and let dry for 2 to 5 minutes. Make sure can of Plastikprep is well stirred before putting it in the spray equipment. Then clean the spray equipment with lacquer thinner after use.
5) Ensure that the Varibond is properly mixed and stirred well before use. Check the shade of the color prior to placing in the appropriate pot for spraying. Be sure to filter the paint prior to use through a fine filter.
6) Set up the spray gun correctly for the job. The fan size, fluid flow rate and application speed will depend on the number and size of the objects. Set spray gun to approximately 35-45 psi. (Clean spray equipment with ordinary gun cleaner after use)
7) Before applying, try out on a small test area first. Apply one light coat to cover the surface, including all edges and surface protrusions. This coat is essential. Allow a flash off time of about one minute. The presence of any silicone will be immediate at this point as fish eyes, dimples, or craters.
8) Apply a second moderate coat. This may be done in a number of passes, depending on the spray gun positioning and physical set-up. Care should be taken not to allow runs to form.
9) Apply a third moderate coat. It is essential that several even coats be applied rather than one heavy coat. It must be remembered that the product has to be applied in light, even coats. Never apply in heavy coats, as excessive coating will lead to problems. The APPLICATOR must ensure that the average thickness of the coating shall be a minimum of 20-microns on all the exposed external surfaces.
10) Allow the component to thoroughly cure.
11)When Varibond is completely cured (72 hours later), apply Plastic care 707 on the surface to seal the color in and give the surface a new look finish.
Q: Will VARIBOND peel, crack or chip off?
A: No, VARIBOND is specially formulated to recolor ABS and many other plastics within minutes. For TPO and EPDM plastics you need to use our special primer plastikprep before spraying Varibond on to the surface. Varibond actually bonds to the surface to assure its permanence and silk finish.
Q: Is VARIBOND colorfast?
A: Yes VARIBOND is colorfast.
Q: Is VARIBOND UV stable?
A: Yes, VARIBOND has UV protection & will not fade for 3 to 5 years.
Q: Do I need to prepare the surface before applying VARIBOND?
A: Yes, The surface needs to be cleaned with lacquer thinner or MEK to remove any silicone, oils, or grease before applying Bumpercoat. This allows Varibond to penetrate & bond to the surface for a lasting finish. For TPO and EPDM plastics you need to spray polyprep primer before applying VARIBOND.
Q: Is VARIBOND waterproof?
A: Yes, VARIBOND is waterproof and will not bleed or come off when the surface is cleaned with soap and water.
Q: Can I brush VARIBOND on?
A: No, VARIBOND must be sprayed on. If applied with a brush it will leave streaks and the surface will look painted and not dyed.
Q: Can I color vinyl and soft plastic surfaces with VARIBOND?
A: Yes, you can color soft plastic & vinyl surfaces such as dashes and door panels etc. with VARIBOND.
Q: Can I recolor my cars vinyl roof with VARIBOND?
A: Yes, you can use VARIBOND to color your vinyl roof. VARIBOND is colorfast and waterproof & will not come off.
Q: Can I recolor my hard plastic steering wheel with VARIBOND?
A: Yes, but it will adhere better if you apply our plastikprep primer before you spray VARIBOND.
Q: Will my surface look shiny after I have applied VARIBOND?
A: VARIBOND is more shiny than VARIKOTE, but we can adjust the sheen to give you a satin or matte finish if you wish.
Q: Can I get VARIBOND to look flat?
A: Yes. We have a matting gel, but this is available only when we do special color matches.
Q: Is VARIBOND available in aerosols?
A: No, unfortunately Varibond is not available in aerosols, but if you need large volumes in certain colors (min 1000 cans) we can get them put into aerosols for you.
Q: What is the minimum quantity for a special color match?
A: 1 quart is the minimum for a special color match.
Q: How do I get a color match?
A: Just send us a swatch of the color you want ( 1” by 1”). If you want to match the original color then it is best to send us a piece of the color you want where the sun has not faded it.
Q: After applying VARIBOND do I need to apply “Armour All “ or anything else to protect the surface?
A: Yes, we recommend products that are free of silicone and that do not leave the surface shiny, sticky or greasy.
Q: How soon can I get a color match?
A: Once we receive the sample swatch we can match the color within 1 week.
Q: How long will it take me to receive the order once you have matched the color?
A: Depending on where you live, it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 business days for us to courier the order to you.
My paint arrived, thank you. I followed the instructions provided by you, masked off my huge bay window outside, and started the air compressor. About 20 minutes later removed all the tape and I could not be any more pleased with the results. My ugly bright white window is gone now, and your color mixing, perfect. I am a professional artist and I have been mixing colors for over 30 years, I KNOW color, great mixing job, I could not have done better. My next plan is to paint the interior that is now a bright white vinyl, a “wood” color. I will be back
Michael P Frase
Swartz Creek, MI
Thank you for all your help. It was as easy as you said it would be.
We used 1 quart of Varibond to paint all 9 PVC (vinyl) windows of our home and the result was just unbelievable. We are more than happy with the results.
Wanted to let you know that I had used your product Varibond product to color the interior plastics in my car some 7 years ago. The results were great and the color is still holding up great.
New Hamburg, ON