Leatherkote Leather Dye is an environmentally safe and clean product.
In addition to leather, you can now recolor a vast range of materials and products such as vinyl, rubber, ABS and PVC type material, and be assured that it will not peel, crack or chip off. For specific recoloring of rubber, our Rubber Dye (Rubberbond) is an excellent product. For the specialized coloring of plastic, our Plastic Dye (Varibond) is the way to go.
Designed specifically to dye/recolor leather
Will also color vinyl, plastic, rubber, & many other surfaces without a primer
Environmentally safe and clean
Can be brushed on or sprayed on.
Available in Hi Gloss finish, Semi gloss, Satin or Matt finish
Easy to use and a highly versatile product
Specifically formulated to adhere to the most difficult substrates
Will not crack, chip, peel or fade
Can be used on a far greater range of surfaces than other waterborne or solvent based products
Reduces the number of processes required to coat the substrate
Health and safety issues not a concern
All the issues of storage, transport and destruction of waste that are complicated by high solvent-content materials are eliminated by the use of Leatherkote Leather Dye
Make sure you apply Lederbalsam 707 sealer and conditioner 24 hours later to seal the leather dye and condition the surface.
We can mix and match almost any color you need. Special color matching is available in quarts, gallons, 5 gallon pails and 50 gallon drums. If the color you want is not on the RAL color chart you can send us a sample of the color and we will match it for you.
Please specify your desired RAL color number in the Comment/Delivery section when you check out or indicate if you are sending a sample.
Below are our 14 Standard colors
FULL RAL color chart
Application instructions for Leather Dye
Leather, vinyl and plastic surfaces in cars, homes, boats and industrial applications.
Clean surface well with Parakleen before applying this leather dye.
Make sure surface is very clean and free of all grease, silicone and grime.
Spray on Application Procedure:
1) Ensure that the leather dye is properly
mixed and stirred before use. Check the color prior to placing in the
appropriate pot for spraying. Be sure to filter the paint prior to use through
a fine filter.
2) Spray at about 30 lbs to 40 lbs pressure. Set up the spray
gun correctly for the job. The fan size, fluid flow rate and application speed
will depend on the number and size of the objects. If the air flow is low you
will get too much paint and not enough air coming out of the gun. This will
cause runs to form and will take longer to dry in between coats so make sure that there is enough air flowing out of the gun. The right amount of air flow to paint will give you a good even spray pattern (spray should not appear too dry or too wet). So test on a small corner or a cardboard surface before applying it on the surface you intend to color. (if you find the paint too thick you can add up to 5% water to it to make it flow better)
3) First apply a light coat of leather dye to cover the surface. Then cover all edges and surface protrusions. This coat is essential. Allow a flash off time of at least 10 minutes if you have not added any water to the mixed color and 20 to 30 minutes if you have added water. The presence of any silicone will be immediate at this point, as fish eyes, dimples, or craters. If you have a heat gun or hot air hair dryer use it in between coats to dry the surface and give the water in the paint a chance to flash off. Too much heat will lift the paint so be careful and lightly blow some hot air over the surface to help the water evaporate. At times it may appear that there are fish eyes or craters on parts of the surface, but not all over the surface. This is probably due to the fact that all the water has not yet flashed off. Be patient. The heat gun or hair dryer will help evaporate the water and you will notice that the craters or fish eyes start to get smaller or disappear.
4) Apply a second moderate coat. If after the 2nd moderate coat and hot blow dry over the surface you still see fish eyes or craters then you need to clean the entire surface completely and make sure that there are no silicone or contaminants still on the surface. This may be done in a number of passes, depending on the spray gun positioning and physical set-up. Care should be taken not to allow runs to form. It is essential that several even coats are applied rather than one or 2 heavy coats. Never apply in heavy coats, as excessive coating will lead to problems. The APPROVED APPLICATOR must ensure that the average thickness of the coating shall be a minimum of 50microns on all the exposed external surfaces. Let surface dry for about 20 minutes.
5) Now apply a 3rd and final light to moderate coat.
6) Allow the component to thoroughly cure. Even though the surface may be dry to touch in a couple of hours, and can be moved within hours, let it cure for at least 24 hours. Full cure can take between 4 to 7 days.
Brush on or hand rub application Procedure:
1) Ensure that the leather dye is properly mixed and stirred well before use. Check the shade of the color to make sure it is the right color. Be sure to filter the paint prior to use through a fine filter, before dipping your brush or sponge into the paint
2) If using a brush apply in light coats (Please do not apply too thick a coat on to the brush as this will cause runs and will take the surface longer to dry between coats). You can also hand rub or dab the product on with a cloth or microfiber sponge.
3) Apply 3 to 4 light coats (with brush or sponge) 20 to 30 minutes apart. Allow the component to thoroughly cure. Even though the surface may be dry to the touch in a couple of hours, and can be moved, let it cure for at least 24 hours. Full cure can take 4 to 7 days so please do not apply any conditioners or sealers on to the surface for at least 7 days.
Very good color match even though the sample I sent was very small. Product works well and is easy to use.
Best waterborne dye I have ever used. Easy to use and bonds beautifully to leather and leaves it looking original.